Fort Bowyer Chapter NSDAR
Fort Bowyer was a small semi-circular fort built of logs and sand in 1813 and named for Revolutionary War hero Colonel John Bowyer. It played a pivotal part in the War of 1812. When present day Fort Morgan was built, Fort Bowyer was used as headquarters. Fort Bowyer burned in the 1830's. The site on which the fort stood was later washed away in a hurricane and is currently under water. Fort Bowyer was chosen as our chapter name for its significant role in early American history.
Fort Bowyer Chapter DAR was organized on December 3, 1955 with 17 members. Currently the chapter numbers 78, with 3 associates.
Our first meetings were held in homes of members, but as membership increased we found it more practical to meet in larger places. Various meeting places included the Blue Flame and the Riviera Utilities Kilowatt Room. It is now our good fortune to meet in the Magnolia Hotel, one of Foley’s oldest buildings, courtesy of our member who is President/CEO of the Gulf Telephone Company and owns the hotel.
Annual projects of our Chapter from its beginning have been awarding a Good Citizen pin, American History Outstanding Student and ROTC and Good Citizenship medals. Throughout the years we have sponsored the American History essay contest in a number of local schools. We are proud to once again sponsor JAC clubs. Genealogy books have been placed in Foley and Gulf Shores Public Libraries. Canceled stamps are saved by members and sent to various veterans groups for nation-wide distribution to VA hospitals. In 1997, the district’s state senator, the chapter regent and several members presented the flag of Alabama to the William F. Green Veterans Home in Bay Minette. We have also donated Christmas baskets overflowing with gifts to this home. We have used spot announcements on our local radio station, WHEP, and window displays in local stores to promote Constitution Week as well as acquiring a Proclamation from the Mayor. We consistently support the President General's projects and those of our State Regent as well. We annually support Kate Duncan Smith School with Campbell Soup product labels and other gifts. In May 1997, we began an annual program of collecting aluminum cans to help support the Indian Youth of America Summer Camp Scholarship. We have programs on the correct use and display of our Flag and on the history of the Flag. We stress conservation and one year we won first place in the State Conservation Award for our bluebird boxes. We take part annually in the Flag Day Luncheon shared with other Baldwin County Chapters.
We are very proud to have purchased one of the five seats located in the Alabama Box at Constitution Hall during National headquarters’ recent renovations.
For the past four years, chapter members have served as Docents for Christmas tours at the Magnolia Hotel, courtesy of it’s owner. Funds realized are designated for chapter projects, including our Marjorie Younce Snook Scholarship.
In 1997, we began publishing a monthly chapter newsletter, the Fort Bowyer Bugler, which is mailed to all members and chapters in the District.
Fort Bowyer Chapter was the first chapter in Alabama to have its own Web-Site. This site was chosen "Web Site of the Month" for November 1998 over many other DAR sites worldwide. We’re glad you looked us up!
Beautiful white beaches !
Return to main page